Monday, September 23, 2013

A Picture Is Worth 1,000 Words


Seeing vs. Looking

The key difference between seeing and looking? We live in such a fast-paced world that we see many things everyday without really seeing them. I have grown so accustomed to seeing the same things every day that I find myself no longer appreciating the little things that used to capture my attention. To look at something is to actually fixate on a certain object and acknowledge its presence. The only instance when I catch myself actually looking at something is when I'm seeing it for the first time - after that I merely "see" this object, because it's already been ingrained in my memory.


This is my college campus. Over the past 2 years I have grown so used to seeing these scenes that it feels as if the campus's beauty has become unappreciated. It's a shame to say this since the campus is so beautiful, but it's photographs like these that demonstrate just how much power an image can hold. When I see photographs of Furman I always admire the beautiful trees and fountains, but when I see these things in person I don't give them a second look. 


The Power of the Photograph
Photographs are objects that can channel emotions in ways that seem magical. I do believe that photographs can be manipulated to evoke a specific emotion, whether that be through digital editing or through the positioning of the photographer in comparison to the object being shot. An important point that the reading "Images, Power, and Politics" made was the fact that the power of the image derives not only from its status as photographic evidence of the exact moment in time, but also from its powerful evocation of the emotions (on personal and societal scales) encompassed at that particular moment.



This particular photograph may evoke a different feeling for me than it would for someone who was alive during the 1989 protests in Tiananmen Square. I believe that it is the history behind this photograph and the publicity that it has been given that enables me to feel a similar emotion to those that may have experienced the protests first-hand. I can look at the photograph and understand how this photograph became an icon of political struggles for freedom of expression, but without the background knowledge I don't think I'd feel the same emotions towards this photograph.

Icons

When I think of the term "icons", I immediately think of MarilynMonroe...since she was the main sex icon during the 1950's and 60's. Although I wasn't alive during that time, I do know that she was what society saw as beautiful - a full-figured women. 

Monroe was photographed in many different ways that communicated different messages to the public. I found her painting by Andy Warhol to be the most interesting manner in which she was communicated in. "Contemporary imaging technologies offered the capacity to reproduce images many times, and in different contexts, thereby changing their meaning and altering their value" (Sturken; Cartwright). In the case of Warhol's piece, the photographs were the same image, rather it was the colors of the image that were altered. These various depictions of Monroe could represent the various masks the actress wore in order to conceal her true self, which was lost in personal turmoil, heartache, and scandal. These different emotions felt by Marilyn were evoked through the colors. These are just my interpretations of the piece of art, I'm sure that others may have different interpretations due to different context.

Conclusion
As a photographer, I know that images are very capable of evoking strong emotions on those that are observing. I found it interesting to read about how different times, places, and cultural experiences can change how people of different age, race, and gender can all view the same photograph in completely different ways. 

In terms of discussion questions I'm interesting in seeing how people react to this photograph. It is one that my professor took while we were visiting Tanzania this summer, during a May Experience trip. I do believe that it resonates with me differently than it would resonate with someone who is not familiar with the country and the people. Just interested in seeing what you all get from this photograph.


No comments:

Post a Comment